Attempts to organize piano tuners and technicians began in Chicago during the Columbian Exposition of 1893 with the founding of the National Tuners Association. This organization was short-lived, as was a similar group founded in New York during 1904.
On January 9, 1910, a group of four technicians, Julian Elliott Diez, Albert Endress, Basil Britain Wilson and William Braid White, formed an organization known as the American Guild of Piano Tuners (AGPT). Its first meeting was in June of that year and attracted 50 technicians from around the United States. It continued to grow, reaching a membership of nearly 2,000 and was instrumental in the establishment of A-440 as standard pitch.